Friday 1 August 2008

TGIF

Although I was tired mentally and physically with 10 days of work and relentless wild partying , I did my usual duty free shopping by picking up stuff which you believe are cheap which otherwise are expensive habits. I was desperately waiting to board the flight and go home. Travelling out of suitcase for more than 3-4 days becomes too painful. I didn’t want to wait any longer to have a appetizing home food that would vitalise my dormant taste buds.

To make matters worse, I was travelling with British Airways. I always had a bitter sweet experience with this airline. Although they are punctual, their food is appalling. I felt sick by the idea of an old lady serving you some rotting vegetables and whiffy mashed potato in the aircraft. No way, I am going to eat that....so I walked into this restaurant to grab a chilled beer and have a quick last snack in Russia.

I went into this eatery, which was next to duty free shopping area and quickly ordered an ice-cold draft beer. Unlike Russian service, it came quickly. I said to myself…”No way this is a Russian joint”. I turned around to see American rugby was aired on the TV (quite strange American sport in Russia) then I checked out the dining setup...antiques, hats, wooden floors, red-striped canopies and brass railings. I faintly remember this joint which I visited almost eight years back. I quickly found that the joint was TGIF i.e. Thank God It’s Friday (American joint famous for casual dining experience)

Young fat waitress suggested me a "quesadilla" and I did not argue with her. I guess all ingredients (cheese, corn, chicken and tortilla) looked familiar. To our surprise it came in literally 10 minutes....It was unlike Russian Service where one would die on the table but still not get served. At least something about Americans is great, be it customer service which was 100 times better than Russians.


Basically Russians don’t know what service means. Even our Russian clients admit this fact that their country is second to none in worst service. Anyways, although it was Sunday afternoon and Monday Blues was just round the corner. I surely felt like saying Thank God Its Friday.

No comments: