Thursday 7 August 2008

Double Decker Bus Ride

Recently, after a long time, I took a double decker bus ride. For some reason I always keep these bus rides out of my equation. But on this occasion, I couldn’t avoid it. I had to go to a nearby theatre and my friend suggested that taking a bus was the best option. So I got into this bus and without any snag, I went straight to the top deck in search of my favourite seat (the front one). During my school days, I used to literally emulate the driver just to get that feel of driving a huge bus.

Believe me, it was a nostalgic 15 min journey. It brought back so many childhood memories; I remember we used to take bus no 165 sometimes 171 to go to school. Worli…Glaxo…Passport Office…Prabhadevi….Kismat Talkies…Sidhi Vinayak temple…Portuguese church….finally getting down at Kabutar Khana. I hardly took 86 because it was a not a double decker bus which always came packed from town and I use to hate them. I clearly remember it was 50 paisa for a one way journey and we used to make it 50% cheaper by flashing our cool bus passes. I must admit that at least on 2 or 3 occasions, I apprehensively travelled without a ticket, just to save those extra pennies for my “kala katta ice gola”….awesome.
“Tiger” was code word for conductor, and these foolish ticketless travel made us feel as if we were the smartest kids around although it scared us to bits as well…..real crazy stuff

As there are no tigers on London buses, when I got the glimpse of the theatre, I pressed a yellow button which is like an indicator to the driver to bring the bus to a halt. For a change I got down without running forwards which was another stupid stunt we performed in those days :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

quite nostalgic indeed...those days were awesome..such small things gave immense pleasure those days..and i must admit i'll miss them throughout my life!

dreamcatcher said...

I miss the BEST bus rides. But I am glad that I am not travelling i n the other buses (ST and NMMT) anymore. They were horrible.