Thursday 17 July 2008

Brick Lane

Few weeks back I had a small party at my house and I wanted some Indian sweets for the occasion. My friends informed me about a famous shop named "X" based in “Brick Lane”. So for the first time in UK, I visited this place also known as “Banglatown” famous for curry joints and Asian sweets.

After getting down from a cab, looked around first to see what the place is all about and then slowly started walking. As I progressed down the street when I heard an old Hindi song ..."Noorie Noorie..Aaja Re". I had not heard this bollywood song for years now, I guess last time I heard in 80's when I was a kid and probably watched repeatedly on "Chayageet" :)

I started smiling because it was played loudly in a Travel Agent Shop (wondered whether it was a new way to invite customers by saying “Aaaaja Re…dil ki pyaas bhuja ja re". I walked a few yards and I saw this small restaurant with a board outside "Free first round of drinks plus thirty per cent off" and then underneath it "Special VIP table available". I saw a 45+ guy, standing there wearing a old oversized coat and geared up to welcome the customers....No wonder restaurant was empty"

Anyways, I found the sweet shop 2 mins later. As soon as I entered this shop, I was struck with mesmerizing smell of “hot Punjabi samosas”. I had not tasted one since ages...it also reminded me of my college days where literally they were like "lifeline". I almost forgot why I came to that shop and straight away ordered a samosa...1 down ...2 down and then I felt a bit better and started checking out sweets...Suddenly, I heard someone speaking in Hindi…so I looked around and saw this young guy in his mid-20's, standing a few feet away and having a conversation with the shop owner.

Owner : "Angrezi mein baat kar lethe ho"
Young Guy : "Thoda Bahut"

Owner : "English log bhi yahan aathe hai..unse baat karna zaroori hai"
Young Guy : "Haaan saab....jaldhi seekh loonga"

Owner : "Seekhne ka time nahin hai..waise bhi abhi nahin chahiye"
Young Guy : "Meherbani saab"

Owner : "Ramzaan ya Diwali ke time pe aana..Abhi mushkil hai"
Young Guy : "Part time bhi chalega"

Few minutes of silence, when the owner asked him to stand aside and let the customers shop freely. I gave my debit card and the owner said "saab yeh card machine baraber kaam nahin kar raha hai" I wondered it ever worked because I have heard that statement a million times…and you would never see those machines working. Anyways I expected this...Paid him by cash and made a call to a
cab company.

I waited there for a few more minutes before the cab arrived and I finally got inside into it....I could still see this young chap standing there like a beggar with a hope that owner will change his mind and offer him a job.

No comments: