Wednesday 10 September 2008

Parenthood

Yesterday, I attended the first session of our ante-natal classes, which are conducted by the local hospitals (by midwives) for parents-to-be. It is a great idea to help one prepare for labour, birth, and early parenthood.

First session was quite a handy one; we met a few families who more or less had a similar due dates. We were requested to ask every query/doubt we had in our mind. Interestingly, you have people coming up with all these funny queries for e.g. someone wanted to get the details on where to park (I guess it is critical when you are in hurry during labour). Someone asked about water birth at home, changing nappies etc. In India obviously majority of families have elders to guide and provide the right advice but here with the family setup being weak, local government spends a huge chunk of their annual budget on medical services to make sure common man has access to basic provisions of life.

I must confess that I took some time to mentally prepare myself towards parenthood but now I am really excited perhaps looking forward to it. I guess initially I was apprehensive because of the whole process but slowly now I realise it could be great fun. I pray and hope that I become a good parent and to be in a position give all the happiness to your child …already talking like a parent :)

No comments: